Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Perfect Pattern

   Flipping through a catalogue today, I noticed an advertisement that said, “Find the perfect pattern.”  Indeed!  I’ve looked many times for the perfect pattern ~ and despite the large variety of patterns available, I never have found it.

   A pattern, being a static thing has some advantages over those things which are constantly changing, like cities, neighborhoods, workplaces, and churches, so it may be slightly easier to find the perfect pattern than the perfect job or the perfect church.  Yet there is no perfection under the sun ~ and if there were, my perception of it is too imperfect  to see it.

   The last time I searched long and hard for a pattern, I was looking for a loose-fitting aran cardigan with a v-neck.  It doesn’t sound hard, does it? After much searching, I actually saw a picture that was just what I wanted ~ but I found it in a vintage magazine.  Answering an ad printed prior to 1965 didn’t seem like a good idea.  I searched online and found other vintage patterns from the same company, but my “perfect” pattern was not to be found.  “But godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Tim. 6:6) and I found one that will do ~ with only a little modification.

1 comment:

  1. "Answering an ad printed prior to 1965 didn’t seem like a good idea."

    You make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete